This position is responsible for enabling retail, commercial and industrial development that will enhance job growth and Monroe County’s sales, property, lodging and license tax base. This position serves as the County’s primary interface with firms/individuals desiring to locate or expand retail, commercial and industrial businesses within the County. Position works under general direction of the Monroeville Monroe County Economic Development Authority Board of Directors with wide latitude for the exercise of independent judgment and initiative. Works closely with stakeholders in promoting economic and community development strategies for the County as a whole.
- Markets Monroe County to prospective investors for retail, commercial and industrial developments.
- Formulates industrial and commercial recruitment strategies.
- Supports a county-wide database of available commercial, retail and industrial properties.
- Works closely with existing industry to identify and addresses issues related to Business Retention & Expansion (BRE)
- Acts as liaison between the incorporated municipalities and the local County and state and federal agencies regarding economic development issues and activities.
- Develops marketing, advertising and public relations campaigns and programs to promote economic development in Monroe County.
- Develops creative solutions and actively recruits targeted prospects
- Performs economic analysis and fiscal impact analyses of commercial and industrial developments and related incentive packages.
- Assists existing businesses seeking to expand or retain employment by coordinating grants, incentives, or other available resources.
- Serves as liaison between existing businesses and state, federal, or local agencies and educational organizations to provide resources to improve business conditions and workforce availability.
- Serves as ombudsman to assist businesses with approval processes.
- Makes periodic reports to the Board of Directors, Mayors and City Councils, and County Commission on recruitment progress and results.
- Works with city leaders to create potential City and County incentive packages for development.
- Develops and maintains marketing information such as displays, presentations, and other promotional materials.
- Advises city officials regarding commercial properties’ benefit/value to the City for annexation.
- Negotiates contractual agreements relating to development between the city, private investors and other agencies, while working with the City/County Attorney.
- Works with the MMCEDA Board of Directors, Mayor and other City/County officials with commercial, retail and industrial recruitment strategies.
- Seeks out local, state, and federal grant opportunities to support economic and community development efforts.
- Job will require nonstandard working hours to meet deadlines and to attend evening meetings and work sessions, and occasional work on weekends.
- Must maintain strong performance records.
- Must maintain driver’s license to drive independently, with strong driving record; and records are periodically checked by the City/County.
- Must have strong background record, due to accessibility to sensitive and proprietary information.
- Must be able to pass background and credit assessment prior to job offer.
- Ability to consistently demonstrate a high level of judgement and discretion required for maintaining confidential and proprietary information.
- Bachelor’s degree in Economic Development, Business, Communications or a related field required.
- Minimum of three (3) years of progressively responsible experience in related economic development functions.
- Experience with business recruitment and retention programs
- Experience working in a rural area a plus
- Experience with essential functions and skills listed above.
- Certification or specialized training in Economic Development a plus
- Working knowledge and skill in essential functions listed above.
- Working knowledge of related local, state, and federal regulations, and related community development services preferred.
- Strong background with economic development and workforce development.
- Strong communication skills and public presentation skills.
- Strong project management, organization, process improvement, customer relations and prioritization skills.
- Working knowledge of sales tax sharing strategies and other taxing and revenue processes to support the development of the County’s infrastructure and tax base preferred.
- Strong relationship building and teamwork skills.
- Strong computer skills and data-gathering and data-analysis skills.
- Must be willing to serve in a dual role as Director of the Monroeville Monroe County Community Development Corporation.
- Ability to communicate orally and written with public.
- Ability to prepare and make public presentations.
- Ability to work on computer for extended periods of time.
- Must be able to travel and drive.
- Stamina to work 12 – 14 hour days, several times per month.
- Must have residency in Monroe County
Please email resumes to: firstname.lastname@example.org by November 30