WETUMPKA AREA CHAMBER OF COMMERCE
TITLE: EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
CLOSING DATE: Resumes accepted until March 04, 2019 at 4pm
REPORTS TO: Board of Directors through the Chair of the Board and the Executive Committee
DESCRIPTION: The Executive Director is the Chief of the organization. The individual serves as a member of the Executive Committee. The individual is responsible to the Board of Directors for the full range of activities – coordination of the program of work; organizational structure and procedures; motivation of volunteers; income and expenditures; employment, training and supervision of staff; interpretation of policy; maintenance of facilities; long range planning.
EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR DUTIES –
1. Program of Work – Through the proper committee, the individual is responsible for the identification of Chamber and community needs and for the preparation of a program of work designed to meet these needs. This involves a constant evaluation of the program, with the recommendations for change as needed. The Executive Director is responsible for directing and implementing, with the aid of the staff and volunteer workers, the strategic plan and related program of work within policies adopted by the Board of Directors.
2. Motivation of Volunteers – The Chamber’s effectiveness rests on the Executive Director’s ability to motivate and inspire volunteers to creative and fruitful action in fulfillment of the Chamber’s goals and strategic plan.
3. Income and Expenses – The Executive Director, in conjunction with the Executive Committee, is responsible for developing the annual Chamber budget and relating the budget to program goals. Once the budget is adopted, it is the Executive Director’s responsibility to monitor all revenue and expenses to ensure that the operation stays within the approved budget. The Executive Director shall supervise the preparation of all reports to governmental agencies concerning tax, accounting and financial data in order to assure the Chamber’s compliance with federal, state and local governmental rules and regulations. The Individual is responsible for all expenditures within the framework of the budget and will seek maximum efficiency in all financial procedures. Responsible for sponsorship of all events and appreciation events for building donators.
4. Staff – The Executive Director is responsible for the employment and termination of all staff personnel, the assignment of their duties, the supervision of their work, and the establishment – within the framework of the approved budget – of the terms of their employment. The Executive Director will ensure participation in professional conferences, seminars and institutes as are needed to develop and maintain operations at peak efficiency.
5. Facilities – As approved by the Board of Directors, the Executive Director is responsible for the location and maintenance of the physical facilities that will provide for an efficient operation and present an attractive “front door” to the community. The Executive Director will attract and oversee leasing tenants in the incubator space at the Chamber of Commerce as approved by the Executive Board and Board of Directors.
6. Liaison –
a. With the Board of Directors – The Executive director is responsible for preparing an agenda, maintaining board minutes and records, carrying out plans and programs of the Board in accordance with established policies, serving as representative of the Board for contact with the staff, and initiating suggestions/ programs for consideration by the Board.
b. With Chamber Members – The Executive Director must motivate members to support – personally and financially – an aggressive Chamber program. The individual must analyze and interpret the needs of the members and recommend revisions in the program of work to improve service and assistance to make membership more valuable. The Executive Director will entertain suggestions, proposals and requests from the members and translate them into action consistent with the fundamental objectives and policies of the Chamber. The Executive Director will meet with members and bring a strong social media presence for the Chamber.
c. With the Staff – The Executive Director must lead and develop the staff. Since the individual is responsible for the employment and training of staff members, the Executive Director assumes the responsibility for their efficient performance of duty. The Executive Director must create working conditions that are conducive to maximum performance and employee morale.
d. With the Community – The Executive Director represents the Chamber in meetings of local, state and national organizations. Through personal contacts with key community leaders, the individual must constantly strive to develop a better public understanding of the purpose and functions of the Chamber and the other organizations, thus increasing the possibilities of maximum effects of networking. The Executive Director will build community rapport.
7. Interpretation of Policy – The Executive Director will ensure that Chamber policy, as established by the Board, is properly recorded in minutes and indexed in the Policies and Procedures Manual. The Executive Director will assist the Board, Committees, members, and the staff in interpretation of policy in relation to any given questions or program. The Executive Director will assist the Chairman in preparation of statements of Chamber positions on public issues and keep an official record of these positions.
o Bachelor’s degree in business administration, public administration, marketing or related field with two (2) years of management or Marketing experience,
OR Associate’s degree with 3 years Management or Marketing experience
OR Four (4) years of Management or Marketing experience
o Chamber experience is strongly preferred
o Must possess strong interpersonal skills, strong verbal and written communication skills
o Strong technology skills, Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint experience (Skills test may be administered)
o Chamber Management software experience preferred but not required
o Financial management and analytical abilities managing budgets
o Strong interpersonal and management skills and the ability to motivate volunteers and staff
o Verifiable experience in coordinating meetings, parties, and events
o Other duties as assigned by the Board of Directors