The Phenix City-Russell County Chamber of Commerce is accepting applications for the position of President/CEO.
About the Community: The Phenix City region and the State of Alabama offer a supportive environment that encourages business success. That environment has resulted in international attention and continued job growth and investment across a number of industry sectors. There are 634 square miles in Russell County. It is bordered on the north by Lee County, on the west by Macon County, on the south by Barbour County and on the east by the Chattahoochee River. The Russell County population, of about 50,000, is largely urban with 65 % residents living in an urban setting and 35% living in a rural setting. Russell County is the home of the Ft. Mitchell National Cemetery and the Chattahoochee Indian Heritage Center. A portion of the Trail of Tears for the Cherokee Indians ran through a section of Russell County. The Chamber of Commerce is dedicated to creating a vibrant business community in the Phenix City-Russell County Area and currently has over 400 active members in nearly 200 different business industries. The U.S. Chamber of Commerce awarded the Phenix City – Russell County Chamber of Commerce with a 4-Star Accreditation. Of the almost 7,000 chambers in the U.S., only 199 are accredited.
Title: President & CEO
Reports to: Executive Committee of the Board of Directors Duties/Responsibilities:
- The President/CEO is the chief executive and administrative officer of the Phenix City – Russell County Chamber of Commerce and is accountable for all organizational activities of the chamber and its foundation, including but not limited to: program initiatives; membership recruitment, development and retention; hiring; training and supervision of staff; total fiscal responsibilities within agreed upon financial resources; and developing and maintaining a collaborative working relationship between the Phenix City – Russell County Chamber of Commerce and business and public policy/governmental organizations, other regional chambers and other regional organizations to foster a strong business environment for the members and business community at-large.
- The successful candidate will be a proven, results-oriented leader who motivates and coordinates the Chamber’s volunteer leaders and staff in championing local business interests, growing the economy and identifying new program opportunities that address issues of importance in Phenix City-Russell County and surrounding communities.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and other Characteristics:
- Strong political acumen in this apolitical position with an ability to tactfully work with differing opinions, build consensus, represent chamber members individually and collectively and have strong interpersonal skills that engender confidence.
- Excellent communication skills, including written, oral and listening skills, public speaking in large and small groups, representing the chamber in both print and broadcast interviews and attention to a multitude of detail.
- Ability to create strategic public/private partnerships, including building alliances with a wide range of constituencies and influencers that include business leaders, entrepreneurs, investors, elected officials and the media
- Passionate enthusiasm and desire to help the organization reach itsgoals.
- A strong understanding of what a chamber of commerce or similar membership-driven
organization is and the ability to work with a wide variety of people.
- Skilled in identifying opportunities and creating strategies, with proven ability to initiate, nurture and develop ongoing productive relationships and to craft win-win outcomes in knitting together appropriate stakeholders.
- Global perspective, with ability to identify opportunities that can translate into success for the region’s member businesses and organizations
- Career track of progressive, documentable accomplishments in increasingly complex operations/ administrative/executive leadership roles in a Chamber of Commerce, economic development organization or similar enterprise. Experience earned in a not for profit environment not required but will be considered a plus. A proven business professional with record of established successful executive leadership of a major organization, or an outstanding leader with record of accomplishments in public service will be given full consideration.
- Track record of successfully facilitating and nurturing effective communications in keeping key stakeholders apprised of financial and operational status.
- Marketing savvy, business acumen, and creativity, and background and skills to work collaboratively with marketing consultants and staff to enhance public awareness.
- Skilled at leveraging all forms of media from print to internet application and Social Media, with experience at targeting and orchestrating media venues to gain attention and develop interest in the Phenix City/Russell County Chamber’s events as well as day to day activities, to ensure consistent positive press and public relations.
- At least five years’ experience as a successful leader with business acumen or a success field deemed appropriate for the position, Chamber and/or other non-profit management is preferred.
- Must have proven communication skills and be able to effectively deal with volunteers, public officials and the public.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office products as well as database technology.
- Demonstrated knowledge of social media marketing to include: email marketing,
Facebook and Twitter.
- Excellent planning, writing and public speaking skills required.
- Demonstrated ability to positively affect change and manage balanced budgets in a business/non- profit/membership-driven or comparable organization.
- Bachelor’s Degree or above and specialized training in Chamber of Commerce or association management and economic development is preferred.
Selected candidate will be expected to reside in the state of Alabama, within the service area of the Phenix City – Russell County Chamber.
Salary and Closing Date:
Salary is to commensurate with experience. Competitive benefits package will be offered. Position closing date is September 20, 2017.
To Confidentially Submit Interest:
Please submit a cover letter and resume’ no later than September 20, 2017.
Emailed documents may be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org or mailed to: Swingbridge Consulting, 338 S. Sharon Amity Road #172, Charlotte, NC 28211