Job Posting: Field Services Specialist – Main Street Alabama
MAIN STREET ALABAMA
Main Street Alabama is a statewide nonprofit that serves as Alabama’s National Main Street Coordinating Program, overseeing the community-based 4-Point Approach® to revitalize historic business districts. Main Street Alabama helps communities organize themselves for success, improve the design of their neighborhoods, promote their districts, and enhance their economic base. MSA is based in Birmingham. For more information, go to www.mainstreetalabama.org
OVERVIEW OF POSITION
The Field Services Specialist supports the President/State Coordinator of Main Street Alabama (MSA) in implementing the statewide Main Street Program. Extensive travel (up to 50% of time) is required to do on-site community assessment, evaluation, training and capacity building. The Field Services Specialist reports to the President/State Coordinator.
Coordinate and provide technical services to improve revitalization outcomes for Main Street Alabama Communities, including nonprofit management, organizational development, fundraising, strategic development, program sustainability, business assistance, historic building rehabilitation, volunteer development, marketing and promotion, and commercial district job creation.
- Deliver MSA technical assistance services to Downtown Network Communities by telephone, correspondence, written reports, presentations, and on-site visits. Currently, there are 23 Downtown Network Communities statewide. The Downtown Network is for communities just starting a downtown revitalization effort and those that want to network with other communities and attend training on the downtown redevelopment process but are not yet seeking in-depth services.
- Assist the President/State Coordinator on services provided to Designated Main Street Communities. Designated Communities have a thorough understanding of the 4-Point Approach® to revitalization and the desire and commitment to work the program. They must meet Main Street Alabama criteria for designation annually.
- Educate Alabama communities, public and state officials, members of the media, investors, and the general public about revitalization of historic business districts using the 4-Point Approach® and about the work and accomplishments of Main Street Alabama
- Work with MSA staff to coordinate educational events such as quarterly trainings, the Downtown Laboratory and Awards program, and on-site meetings with local Main Streets.
- Assist with on-site training workshops for local Main Street Program staff, board, and committee members (Resource Team Visits, Main Street 101, Program Assessments, Technical Assistance Visits, Strategic Planning, and other trainings, as necessary).
- Assist the President/State Coordinator and Marketing & Communications Coordinator in public relations and educational projects, including independent research, writing articles, technical bulletins, educational and promotional material for publication, and in making public presentations on downtown revitalization subjects.
- Assist with competitive selection of local communities applying for Designated status.
- Coordinate special projects and other duties as assigned by the President/State Coordinator.
- Must have proven field experience in obtaining results working with and through others, with 3-5 years successful experience working in a Main Street program at the local, regional, state or national level.
- Must demonstrate a thorough understanding of the Main Street 4-Point Approach® and have mastery in one of the four points, preferably economic restructuring or organization.
- Must be entrepreneurial, energetic, imaginative, well-organized and able to motivate others, and must be capable of functioning effectively both in an independent situation and working under the President’s direction and for a statewide volunteer board.
- Excellent communication skills are essential.
- Experienced with meeting facilitation.
- BS or BA degree in a discipline related to commercial revitalization is desirable.
- Historic preservation skills and knowledge of design relevant to commercial revitalization are a plus.
- Must be able and willing to travel up to approximately 50 % of time, which may include some evenings & weekends, in order to provide direct hands-on assistance to Alabama communities.
- Strong computer skills including MS Office Suite, Access, Excel, MS Outlook, PowerPoint, and graphics programs.
- Able to drive a car, set up and operate a projector, and use standard office equipment. Some outdoor work required. Must occasionally lift and/or move up to 40 pounds
Salary commensurate with experience. Please specify salary requirements.
Position posting will remain open until September 30th.
Cover letter, resume and 3 professional references should be mailed to:
Main Street Alabama Attn: Mary Helmer P.O. Box 483 Birmingham, AL 35201
No electronic submissions please.