The Communications Director is responsible for the development of the Business Council of Alabama’s communication strategy and will contribute to the BCA’s strategic planning process. The Communications Director will directly manage communications activities that promote, enhance, and protect the organization’s brand reputation. This individual will be an ambassador for the organization with the goal of advancing the organization’s position with relevant constituents, as well as to drive broader awareness and member support for the organization. The Communications Director will be responsible for BCA’s varied and integrated communications products and services including print publications; online communications; media and public relations; and marketing.
Primary Responsibilities and Job Functions
- Develop and implement an integrated strategic communications plan to advance the BCA’s brand identity; broaden awareness of its programs and priorities; and increase the visibility of its programs across key stakeholder audiences.
- Identify challenges and emerging issues faced by the organization. Work with leadership and staff to recognize internal and external communications opportunities and define and execute appropriate strategies to support them.
- Serve as official spokesperson for the BCA and point of contact for all media inquiries.
- Serve as speechwriter for the BCA’s President and CEO.
- Develop and oversee all publications (including but not limited to the Capital Briefing, Business Advocate, Manufacturing Advocate) and communications (emails, blog posts, op- eds, press releases, etc.), collateral and promotional materials, website, and social media.
- Manage communications associated with annual events (Governmental Affairs Conference, Legislative Reception, Evening for Progress, Annual Meeting, etc.) coordinating with stakeholders across the association to develop script, invitations, programs, and blast emails.
- Exercise good judgment to prioritize media opportunities, and prepare talking points, presentations, and other supporting material as needed.
- Actively engage, cultivate and manage press relationships to ensure coverage surrounding the BCA programs, special events, public announcements, and other projects.
- Identify opportunities, develop message(s), and write copy for magazines and periodicals, op- eds, trade publications, and BCA officers/staffers, if needed.
- Work to ensure the “BCA brand” is incorporated into all communications and is consistent.
- Compile, produce and disseminate the Daily Briefing – an email, sent each day to BCA members, that contains the day’s relevant news stories.
Ideal Qualifications and Skills
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, marketing or related field
- Minimum of five years’ experience in planning, writing, editing, and production of
newsletters, press releases, marketing literature, and other print publications and directories
- Skill and comfort in proactively building relationships with reporters and editors, as well as successfully positioning subject matter with the media to achieve high-impact placements
- Extensive, successful writing and editing experience with a variety of print and online communications media
- Experience in contributing to a comprehensive communications, media relations, and marketing program to advance an organization’s strategic mission and goals
- Creative and thoughtful approach to utilizing social media
- Ability to make decisions in a changing environment and anticipate future needs
- Excellent and persuasive communicator
- A collaborative, flexible team player who can positively and productively impact the organization’s strategic initiatives
- Exceptional written, oral, interpersonal, and presentation skills and the ability to effectively interface with senior management, the BCA’s Board of Directors and staff
- Ability to operate as an effective strategic thinker
- High standards of ethics, confidentiality and discretion in handling sensitive information
Please submit résumé to Drew Harrell (firstname.lastname@example.org).